If packing your own belongings:
Be certain to properly wrap and package everything tightly. Loose items are more susceptible to damage and misplacement. Although it will cost more it is usually better to have a professional moving company pack
your belongings. ** 9 out of 10 times our customers choose for us to pack their belongings.
Eight Weeks Before You Move
– Obtain a floor plan of your new residence and decide what household items you want to keep.
– Begin an inventory of all household goods.
– Establish a file for all moving papers and receipts.
– Arrange to transfer child’s school records.
– Choose a mover.
Six Weeks Before You Move
– Begin search for good health-care professionals in your new location.
– Fill out post-office change of address cards.
– Send your new address to anyone that might need it — insurance agents, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, friends, relatives, etc.
– Clean out closets and dispose of all items that you will not be taking with you.
– Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to charities.
Four Weeks Before You Move
– For self moves, reserve a truck or trailer. Obtain necessary moving supplies, boxes, twine, labels, etc.
– Start packing!!
– If your mover is doing the packing, arrange for it to be done one or two days before loading begins.
– Send furniture, drapes and carpets for repair or cleaning as needed.
– Begin to use up overstocks of staple foods
– Gather valuable personal papers that you may need at your destination location, including medical and dental records, school records, birth certificates, etc.
– Make travel plans and arrange any motel or other reservations.
Three Weeks Before You Move
– Arrange to have utilities (gas, electric, phone, cable, water, etc.) disconnected in your present home, and connected at your new home..
– Ready car registration and insurance records for transfer.
– Notify State Motor Vehicle Bureau of your new address.
– Arrange for child care on moving day.
Two Weeks Before You Move
– Arrange to move pets.
– Check with mover about moving house plants. (Some movers will not move plants.)
– Dispose of all items too dangerous to move, including flammable liquids.
– If necessary, have your automobile serviced and ready for the trip.
One Weeks Before You Move
– Transfer all bank accounts.
– Cancel newspaper delivery.
– Have enough medication to last at least two weeks. Have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy at your new destination.
– Buy traveler’s checks.
– Make arrangements to pay for your move.
– Withdraw items and close safety deposit boxes.
Two Days Before You Move
– Have mover pack your goods (unless doing it yourself).
– Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
– Set aside valuable items to carry with you including jewelry, vital documents, money and valuable small items.
– Be on hand to answer questions and give directions to movers and stay until they are finished.
– Accompany driver for inventory of your household goods.
– Before the truck leaves, take one final look through the house to make certain nothing has been left behind.
– Give the driver directions to your new home.
– Notify the driver and your moving coordinator where you can be reached during the move.
– Be on hand to answer any questions and give directions.
– Supervise unloading and unpacking.
– Check carefully for any damaged or missing items.
– Note on the inventory any damaged boxes or obvious damage to unboxed items before you sign anything.